InKnowledge started creating a Bing Maps Android SDK when version 7 of the Bing Maps AJAX control was released. Originally it was created to assist with the development of an Android version of their Taxi Fare Calculator. After some development they quickly realized the potential and decided to share this SDK with the world. As such have made this an open source CodePlex project: http://bingmapsandroidsdk.codeplex.com/
Bing Spatial Data Service – Query API:
Bing Maps REST Services:
- Geocoding (Address and query searches)
- Reverse Geocoding
- Routing with support for all route options
To top it off all these libraries are inside of a base Android application that can be used either as a template or for reference on how to create your own Bing Maps Android application. In addition support for GeoRSS feeds has been added.
This SDK is still in its early stages and the follow are features that are on the roadmap:
- Documentation of code, and articles on how to use the SDK to create an application.
- Sample UI for Location Details view.
- Support for localization.
- UI controls for rotating Birdseye view.
- GML support for GeoRSS feeds.
Initial tests have found that this SDK performs as fast, if not faster than the native Google maps application that is on Android devices. To see some of these features in action check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mayS84G-h0